Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Apollo and Morgan, cats 3 & 4


I had my two cats, Hank and Merlin, and life was good.  I had a screened in porch that I left food out for them, because my cats were indoor/outdoor for a long time.  I lived in a trailer park while I was going to school, and it was out in the country, so I wasn't worried about speeding cars.  One night I heard a racket out on the porch and found Hank in a standoff with this gorgeous gray and white long haired cat over the food.  It took me several weeks to get this cat used to me, and moving the food bowl closer and closer to me, I was finally able to get my hands on him.  Underneath all that fur he was light as a feather.  He was also all matted up.  By this time my baby sister was also attending the same college, and had a trailer in the same park.  I called her up to hold the cat while I trimmed out the mats.  He was calm as could be as long as he was in your arms or in the house, but as soon as he got out he reverted to the feral he had been for so long.  I took him to the vet and got him his shots and had him neutered.  He never gained a lot of weight, but he was so soft and gentle in the house.  Apollo got on well with Hank and Merlin.  He was a ragdoll type cat, and would just lay in whatever position you put him in.  He would have been a great cat for a house with children! 

Not long after Hank died, a neighbor kid came by with an orange and white kitten, trying to find it a home.  Morgan was a beautiful cat, but he always had a skin condition, allergies of some sort.  He didn't like to be touched, and I think it was just too uncomfortable for him.  He used to hang out with my 80+ year old neighbor on her porch swing.  She was allergic to cats and never petted him, but she would talk to him for hours.  He would roll over and show her his belly and she would scold him when he was watching the birds too intently!  She bought him snacks and toys and I fed him and paid his vet bills.  I can't find a picture of Morgan, probably because he was always with Thelma!



Below is a video of my current two cats and one I am babysitting for my nephew, enjoying a little catnip party!


5 comments:

Cat said...

Hi, I came over from Chrystal's blog, I like the story of your cats they all sound lovely!

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

I came over from Chrystal's blog to say thank you for donating a brick. The kitties are lovely ~ they live in our hearts forever, don't they? xx

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

I came from Chrystals too! Great stories and wonderful brick!

The Lee County Clowder said...

Amazing how one cat can turn into three or four without you ever really thinking much about it?

The Lee County Clowder said...

PS: FWIW, we tried to watch the video, but it is Facebook-member-only, and we're not. Just thought you might want to know about that. :-)