Monday, September 29, 2008

Food Planning

I spent yesterday at the Graham's, trying to make the most of the food that people had dropped off and that the church had sent home after the funeral lunch. I froze quite a bit of the ham in six slice packages, and used the cold lentil salad to make a lentil soup in the crockpot. I added chicken broth, some chopped up ham, some steamed rice left over from a chinese takeout, some corn and some chopped tomato. A little garlic, cumin and red pepper to spice it up. I froze that in 2 cup servings in freezer bags, laid flat. They freeze fast and thaw quickly. There were 3 large left over baked potatoes so I used a can of condensed chicken soup and peeled and sliced the potatoes with some chopped ham for a scalloped potato casserole, and we had that last night. I took some of the dinner rolls and made bread pudding. YUM.

There was some left over spaghetti and some meat sauce, so I mixed up enough for lunch today and am going to make a spaghetti pie with the rest. I froze some cooked squash, I don't know what I will do with that yet. I actually had fun trying to get the best use of the food. Some of the salads we passed around to other people, but I flash froze some scoops of mustard potato salad, then packaged them up in bags. It will be interesting to see how they thaw. There is still alot of bread.

No comments: