Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wanchai Ferry Sweet and Sour chicken

I have several of these Wanchai Ferry kits.  You add your own chicken, and I really like the sauce, but I add more Water Chestnuts and pineapple.  Of course I do.  I had some for dinner and packaged the rest to take to work on Monday.  It should feed me through Tuesday or Wednesday for lunch.  I bought them with coupons on a mega saver sale at Kroger for about $1.52 each.  They feed four.


I have some left over mashed potatoes, and am thinking about making this tomorrow.  I copied it off someone else's blog that is also participating in the pantry challenge.   I don't have celery and cauliflower, but I have everything else.  May throw in some celery seed and call it good.  It has been so cold here that I am in a soup mood.

Leftover Mashed Potato Soup:p
3 cups(ish) mashed potatoes
1/2 white or yellow onion
2 carrots chopped
2 sticks celery chopped
1 cup cauliflower cut into pieces
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into chunks, room temperature
salt and pepper to taste

Pour the finely minced vegetable mixture into a large pot. Add chicken broth, milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Slowly add the cheeses and the mashed potatoes, stirring frequently.
Simmer for approximately 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Serve with some warm bread. Ladel into bowls and garnish with more cheese or green onions.

No comments: